2009 report cards

The 2009 report cards summarise data collected by the Aquatic Health Unit from 2001 to 2007 and, where available, water quality from this period. 

This data has been collected from over 40 freshwater and estuarine monitoring sites. 

The report cards show most local waterways are in excellent health. 

Read Other Aquatic Health Unit projects (1.8 mb) for a snapshot of projects to protect water quality, investigate biological health of the region's ecosystems and monitoring programs.

Monitoring sites, pollution sources and ecology diagrams

Conceptual diagrams have been developed for Elizabeth River, Blackmore River and Shoal Bay showing catchment, pollutant sources and transport pathways. 

Sediment and nutrient sources to waterways include natural bushland, agriculture and urban areas.

Sewage treatment plants are a major source of nutrients and toxicants. The upper parts of the estuaries have deposition and resuspension of sediment and are poorly flushed by tidal flow.

Aquatic Health Unit monitoring sites are also shown on the diagrams below.

View the Elizabeth River catchment diagram (3.8 mb).

View the Blackmore River catchment diagram (3.8 mb).

View the Shoal Bay catchment diagram (2.3 mb).

Full report

Read the Darwin Harbour region report cards 2009 (9.8 mb).

Sections of the report

Darwin Harbour region (478.6 kb)

Understanding the pollution sources and water quality (838.2 kb)

Interpreting the report cards (1.0 mb)

Individual report cards

Darwin Harbour report card 2009 (2.0 mb)

Darwin - Palmerston report card 2009 (1.4 mb)

Elizabeth River and Estuary report card 2009 (1.1 mb)

Blackmore River and Estuary report card 2009 (1.4 mb)

Shoal Bay and Buffalo Creek report card 2009 (920.7 kb)

Rapid Creek report card 2009 (2.4 mb)

Lagoons report card 2009 (337.4 kb)

Last updated: 15 March 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.