Magpie Goose Management Program
The Northern Territory has the world's largest population and major breeding areas of Magpie Geese.
The program will help protect and conserve the species while also allowing for its sustainable use and appropriate control where it’s causing economic damage.
All activity related to the Magpie Goose will be managed under the "Management Program for the Magpie Goose (Anseranas semipalmata) in the Northern Territory of Australia, 2020-2030".
The species is considered "iconic" for the Territory and both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people identify strongly with the species. It is of particular significance to Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal hunters and is the cornerstones species of the Territory's annual waterfowl hunting season.
Review the Magpie Goose Management Program 2020-2030
We've identified a number of discussion points within the program that we’d like your feedback on.
Your feedback and suggestions will be collated and analysed to inform the final program. When approved, the program will be made public on the Department of Environment and Natural Resources website.
Closing date for the online survey is 8 November 2019.
Have your say on the draft Magpie Goose Management Program 2020-2030.
Magpie Goose – A unique Territory lifestyle
Magpie Goose – Pest mitigation animal welfare
Magpie Goose – Sustainable commercial use
- Magpie Goose Survey 2019 PDF, 2003.65 KB
- Magpie Goose Survey 2018 PDF, 1767.83 KB
- Magpie Goose Survey 2017 PDF, 3688.51 KB
- Magpie Goose Survey 2016 PDF, 2642.21 KB
- Magpie Goose Survey 2015 PDF, 2280.29 KB
- Magpie Goose Survey 2014 PDF, 1666.06 KB
- Magpie Goose Survey 2013 PDF, 904.94 KB
- Magpie Goose Survey 2012 PDF, 953.43 KB
- Magpie Goose Survey 2011 PDF, 976.79 KB
Last updated: 21 October 2019