Petroleum guidance material

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (the department) has developed guiding material to help proponents meet their obligations for Environment Management Plans (EMPs) under the Petroleum (Environment) Regulations 2016 and the Code of Practice: Onshore Petroleum Activities in the Northern Territory.

In addition to this guidance, it is recommended that the Petroleum Assessments Branch be contacted via in the early phases of the preparation of EMPs for more detailed project specific advice.

Expand all | Close all

Preliminary guideline: Groundwater monitoring bores for exploration petroleum wells in the Beetaloo Sub-basin

This guideline PDF, 504.74 KB provides the department minimum expectations in relation to groundwater quality monitoring, in order to detect any potential leaks from petroleum wells.

These requirements will be enforced through Environment Management Plan (EMP) approval decisions taken by the Minister for Environment and Natural Resources. The decision will be supported by advice from the independent Northern Territory Environment Protection Authority (NT EPA).

The guidelines apply to exploration scale activities in the Beetaloo Sub-basin only and will be updated as the information base for the area expands.

The guidelines are only one element of the range of regulatory tools and requirements to ensure well integrity and the protection of groundwater resources.

Weed management planning guideline: Onshore petroleum projects

Appropriate management of weeds was an important focus of the 'Scientific Inquiry Into Hydraulic Fracturing in the Northern Territory'.

Recommendations 8.2 to 8.4 outlined requirements for:

  • baseline weed surveys
  • weed management plans and
  • dedicated weeds officers.

Minimum requirements for these matters are spelled out in this guideline PDF, 185.02 KB .

Last updated: 19 September 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.