Darwin Harbour Advisory Committee
The Darwin Harbour region includes Port Darwin and Shoal Bay and covers 3227km of land and water. It extends from Charles Point to Gunn Point including the estuarine areas, tributaries and catchment areas of Cox Peninsula, Woods Inlet, West Arm, Middle Arm, East Arm and the Howard River. The Darwin Harbour Advisory Committee provides advice to the Northern Territory Government through the Minister on the effective management of Darwin Harbour and its catchment to ensure a balance between; sustainable development, a working harbour important to a range of cultural, recreational and economic values, and the protection and maintenance of healthy environments and ecosystems in the harbour and its catchment, now and into the future.
The Committee will:
- Work with all stakeholders and provide advice on the development of an evidenced-based, integrated research and monitoring (IRM) program for Darwin Harbour to inform sustainable management, protect the aquatic environment, cultural and community values, and identify critical habitats at risk.
- Work with the Northern Territory Government to provide on-going advice on the IRM program and facilitate the development of an evidence-based annual reporting framework for Darwin Harbour’s aquatic environment.
- Gather and disseminate information, encourage and support collaboration with key stakeholders including the community, seek feedback on strategic objectives and facilitate leading practice approaches to harbour management.
- Provide advice to the Minister on issues affecting the integrated management and protection of Darwin Harbour and its catchment, whilst ensuring that environmental and cultural concerns are addressed.
- Provide advice on matters referred to it by the Minister.
Click here to view the Committee's Terms of Reference
Current Darwin Harbour Advisory Committee Members
Prof Karen Gibb (Chair)
|Professor, Charles Darwin University|
Mr Nick Hanigan
|Development Manager, Paspaley Pearls Properties Pty Ltd|
Mr Nigel Browne
|CEO, Larrakia Development Corporation|
Ms Shar Molloy
|Director, Environment Centre of the Northern Territory|
|Ms Sue McKinnon||Chairperson, Landcare NT|
Mr David Ciaravolo
|Executive Officer, Amateur Fisherman’s Association Northern Territory|
Mr Jim Smith
|Managing Director, Sea Darwin Pty Ltd|
Mr Alan Roe
|Program Manager, Territory Natural Resource Management|
Mr Terry O’Connor
|CEO, Darwin Port|
Dr Claire Streten
|Research Scientist, Australian Institute of Marine Science|
Mr Mark Robertson
|Government Approvals Manager, INPEX|
Ms Trish Rigby
|Research and Policy Officer, Northern Land Council|
Ms Shenagh Gamble
|Manager Climate Change and Environment, City of Darwin|
Ms Annie Andrews
|Manager of Environment, Power and Water Corporation|
Mr Daniel Thompson
|Environment Supervisor, Conocco Phillips Australia|
The table below has meeting minutes from the Darwin Harbour Advisory Committee meetings
|Thursday 8 February 2018|
City of Darwin, Civic Centre, Meeting, Room 1, 17 Harry Chan Avenue - Darwin
|Thursday 26 October 2017||Charles Darwin Centre, Level 14, Conference Room, 19 The Mall, Darwin||minutes|
|Thursday 17 August 2017||Territory Conference Room (NADT), Development House, 76 The Esplanade||minutes|
|Friday 14 July 2017||Territory Conference Room (NADT), Development House, 76 The Esplanade||minutes|
Last updated: 07 August 2018