Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
NT Pastoral Land Board
The Pastoral Land Board is a statutory authority established under Section 11 of the Pastoral Land Act, charged with administering the Northern Territory pastoral leases in accordance with the Act.
Read the Pastoral Land Act.
The board has a range of responsibilities and is the consent authority for:
- clearing of native vegetation on pastoral land
- non-pastoral use on pastoral land.
The board reports to the minister on various matters including:
- pastoral lease conversions to perpetuity
- pastoral lease management plans
- pastoral sub-division applications.
The Pastoral Land Board is made up of five members, who are appointed by the minister for a term of three years.
Mr Paul Zlotkowski
Anne Kilgariff (Alice Springs District)
Mr Steven Craig, Pastoral Manager (Victoria River District)
Mr David James, Pastoral Manager (Sturt Plateau District)
Dr Leigh Hunt, rangeland scientist
Role of the board
Under Section 29 of the Act, the functions of the board are to:
- report regularly to, and as directed by, the minister, but in any case not less than once a year, on the general condition of pastoral land and the operations of the board
- consider application for the subdivision or consolidation of pastoral land and make recommendations to the minister in relation to them
- plan, establish, operate and maintain systems for monitoring the condition and use of pastoral land on a district or other basis
- assess the suitability of proposed new pastoral leases over vacant Crown land
- direct the preparation, and monitor the implementation, of remedial plans
- monitor, supervise or cause to be carried out work in relation to the rectification of degradation or other damage to pastoral land
- monitor the numbers and effect of stock and feral and other animals on pastoral land
- monitor and administer the conditions to which pastoral leases are subject
- make recommendations to the minister on any matter relating to the administration of this Act
- hear and determine all questions, and consider and make recommendations on all matters, referred to it by the minister
- such other functions as are imposed on it by or under this or any other Act or as directed by the minister.
Section 30 of the Act gives the board powers to:
- do all things necessary to perform its functions and exercise its powers
- authorises the members of the board or officers authorised by the board for the purposes of performing pastoral monitoring functions, after giving reasonable notice to the pastoral lessee of their intention to do so
- enter on pastoral land to access the condition of the land and identify, establish and operate monitoring sites and reference areas
- inspect land data recorded and kept by the lessee as required by the Act
- the board may for the purpose of performing its functions or exercising its powers with the written consent of the minister may act as an agent for the Territory.
For more information about the Pastoral Land Board, contact the Executive Officer:
Phone: (08) 8999 4667
Fax: (08) 8999 4403
Pastoral Land Board Annual Reports
- Pastoral Land Board Annual Report 2015 - 2016
- Pastoral Land Board Annual Report 2014 - 2015
- Pastoral Land Board Annual Report 2013 - 2014
- Pastoral Land Board Annual Report 2012 - 2013
- Pastoral Land Board Annual Report 2011 - 2012
- Pastoral Land Board Annual Report 2010 - 2011
- Pastoral Land Board Annual Report 2009 - 2010
- Pastoral Land Board Annual Report 2008 – 2009
- Pastoral Land Board Annual Report 2007 – 2008
- Pastoral Land Board Annual Report 2006 - 2007
- Pastoral Land Board Annual Report 2005 - 2006
- Pastoral Land Board Annual Report 2004 - 2005
- Pastoral Land Board Annual Report 2003 - 2004
Last updated: 09 June 2017