Review of the Pastoral Land Act 2011
Proposed amendments to the Pastoral Land Act have been undertaken to address concerns by the Productivity Commission regarding the suitability of the Pastoral Land Act to manage contemporary pastoral issues.
The Northern Territory Government encouraged all land holders and land users to provide feedback on the legislation.
Five community consultation sessions were held in Darwin, Katherine, Alice Springs, Tennant Creek and Timber Creek during April 2011. There were also a further 36 targeted stakeholder and industry group presentations.
The public consultation period closed on 31 May 2011. Copies of the public submissions are now available.
Thanks are extended to all individuals, groups and organisations that provided feedback on the proposed amendments to the Pastoral Land Act. The Territory Government will now consider all public submissions.
Supporting documents for proposed amendments: Pastoral Land Act
Supporting documentation for the proposed amendments to the Pastoral Land Act included:
- Summary Paper PDF, 4027.45 KB
- Frequently Asked Questions PDF, 272.04 KB
- Explanatory Guide PDF, 1686.6 KB
- Consultation Draft - Pastoral Land Amendment Act PDF, 281.74 KB .
A review of the Pastoral Land Act was undertaken after some amendments, anomalies and limitations were identified. The outcome of the review will affect the development and future use of pastoral land, and its ability to meet economic, social, cultural and environmental objectives.
The review of the Pastoral Land Act's effectiveness in meeting the interests of pastoral lessees, the government and other interested parties and the community as a whole, commenced in July 2004.
Following public consultation, a recommendation paper has been prepared by a Steering Committee to address the issues identified in the discussion paper and the key issues paper and has been approved for release to the public by the Northern Territory Government.
The outcome of the review will affect the development and future use of pastoral land, and its ability to meet economic, social, cultural and environmental objectives.
For more information on the review contact the Pastoral Lease Administration Branch on (08) 8999 4474 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Read the public responses to the Key Issues Paper reviewing the Pastoral Land Act:
- Central Australian Bush Walking Club PDF, 1184.67 KB
- S Kidman and Co Ltd PDF, 54.2 KB
- Environmental Defenders Office PDF, 3903.44 KB
- The North Australian Pastoral Company P/L PDF, 4603.78 KB
- Indigenous Land Corporation PDF, 1342.3 KB
- World Wildlife Fund PDF, 5356.82 KB
- Gerry Wood MLA PDF, 16.94 KB
- Arid Land Environment Centre Inc PDF, 101.25 KB
- Central Land Council PDF, 2029.21 KB
- Aboriginal Areas Protection Authority PDF, 2657.9 KB
- Biodiversity unit CNR NRETA PDF, 32.42 KB
- Northern Territory Minerals Council Inc PDF, 1154.91 KB
- Northern Territory Cattlemen's Association PDF, 93.21 KB
Last updated: 18 September 2019