NT Pastoral Land Board


The Pastoral Land Board is a statutory authority established under section 11 of the Pastoral Land Act 1992 (the Act), charged with administering the Northern Territory pastoral leases in accordance with the Act.

Read the Pastoral Land Act 1992.

See current land clearing applications and approvals

The Board has a range of responsibilities and is the consent authority for:

  • clearing of native vegetation on pastoral land
  • non-pastoral use on pastoral land.

The Board reports to the Minister on various matters including:

  • pastoral lease conversions to perpetuity
  • pastoral lease management plans and
  • pastoral sub-division applications.

The Pastoral Land Board consists of at least five members, appointed by the Minister for Environment and Natural Resources.


Ms Julie Ross


Dr Leigh Hunt, Rangeland Scientist

Mr David James, Pastoral Manager (Sturt Plateau District)

Mr Steven Craig, Pastoral Manager (Victoria River District)

Mr Roy Chisholm, Pastoral Manager (Northern Alice Springs District)

Mr Alastair Shields, Native title interests and Aboriginal Culture heritage expertise

Role of the board

Under section 29 of the Pastoral Land Act 1992 (the Act), the functions of the board are to:

  • report regularly to, and as directed by, the Minister, but in any case not less than once a year, on the general condition of pastoral land and the operations of the Board
  • consider applications for the subdivision or consolidation of pastoral land and make recommendations to the Minister in relation to them
  • plan, establish, operate and maintain systems for monitoring the condition and use of pastoral land on a District or other basis
  • assess the suitability of proposed new pastoral leases over vacant Crown land
  • direct the preparation, and monitor the implementation, of remedial plans
  • monitor, supervise or cause to be carried out work in relation to the rectification of degradation or other damage to pastoral land
  • monitor the numbers and effect of stock and feral and other animals on pastoral land
  • monitor and administer the conditions to which pastoral leases are subject
  • consider and determine applications for permission to use pastoral land for a non-pastoral purpose in accordance with Part 7
  • make recommendations to the Minister on any matter relating to the administration of this Act
  • hear and determine all questions, and consider and make recommendations on all matters, referred to it by the Minister and
  • such other functions as are imposed on it by or under this or any other Act or as directed by the Minister.

Section 30 of the Act gives the Board powers:

  • subject to this Act, the Board has power to do all things that are necessary or convenient to be done for or in connection with or incidental to the performance of its functions and the exercise of its powers
  • for the purposes of performing its pastoral monitoring functions, the members of the Board, and persons authorised in writing for that purpose by the Board, may, after giving reasonable notice to the pastoral lessee of their intention to do so:
    • enter on pastoral land to assess the condition of the land and identify, establish and operate monitoring sites and reference areas
    • inspect recorded land data kept by the pastoral lessee in accordance with the requirements of or under this Act and
    • without limiting the generality of subsection (1), the Board may, for the purposes of performing its functions or exercising its powers, including powers conferred on it elsewhere in this Act, with the approval in writing of the Minister, act as agent for the Territory or a statutory corporation.

For more information about the Pastoral Land Board, contact the Executive Officer:

Phone: (08) 8999 4667
Fax: (08) 8999 4403
Email: pastorallandboard@nt.gov.au

Last updated: 07 May 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.